Friday, July 22, 2022

 

A Person Convinced against their Will is of the Same Opinion Still!

 

We have all known people who refuse to change their minds no matter how much proof you supply, and this is especially frustrating in genealogy.  No matter how much careful research you have done; no matter what the DNA test reports; no matter how much objective proof you provide, some non-believers cannot be convinced.

I have spent years trying to bring documentation and DNA to prove family lines, hoping to answer questions and "set the record straight".  But time after time, I have encountered people who want to "fight" the evidence.  It's like being a prosecutor in a court case with strong evidence, but the jury is still not convinced.

While researching and questioning his line, my husband was told "It doesn't matter who you claim as your ancestor unless the are trying to join the SAR (Sons of the American Revolution)".   That organization and the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution) have increased their standards of proof.  They no longer allow family histories, for example, as evidence.  Now one must have documentary evidence of a direct relationship in order to join.  Other than those organization requirements and professional genealogists, does anyone really care who you claim as an ancestor? 

Many people want a royal or a military ancestor in their history, and when they think they have one, they don't want to relinquish him or her.  

What do I do?  Much less than I used to do.  Am I giving up?  Perhaps.  

I have decided not to be a genealogical policeman, trying to "arrest" those folks who are willing to accept information without evidence to prove or disprove it.  Instead, I am concentrating on gathering evidence through documents and DNA to convince myself that my ancestors are truly my ancestors. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment

  A Person Convinced against their Will  is of the Same Opinion Still!   We have all known people who refuse to change their minds no matter...