Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Help for Amateur Genealogists


Digging for your Roots to Find your History



*************************************************************************************

Please contact me directly by Email if you have specific questions or challenges, and I will be happy to help if I can.  Links on right will take you to specific topics which I will be adding to and updating.  I have been researching for years and each day is a "new day" of discovery.

Our family history has been part of the nucleus of the larger world. Our families were where we found food, shelter, protection, provision and social interaction in our early years. Much later in life when we begin to yearn for the protection and comfort of family, many of the special people of our youth are gone. Those people were important since we share their biological genes and often their dreams. They are a part of who we are today, how we live and how we believe.  Information about the ancestors who have created our very beings will hopefully make us more secure in the understanding of their humanity, and that they were not just names in old Bibles or on tombstones. These people lived in a changing country and faced ordeals we can only read about. At the same time, they faced the age-old decisions about love, marriage, caring for a family, religion, education, sickness and death, the same as we face.  

Betty Dotson Renick


8 comments:

  1. How refreshing to find a genealogy site that doesn’t ask for my credit card number before I can get any help! Your clear explanation of how DNA results may be used to solve my dilemma of conflicting information was really helpful! Thanks again!
    My next email is a request for how I should attack a frustrating brick wall by starting (again) using basic sources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I am Jackie Warman in Colorado. Maria Greathouse Alexander was my Great Grandmother, Her father was Soloman Greathouse. I am trying to find her husband's parents names. Her husband was George Washington Alexander. The best email for me is warmjack@yahoo.com. . Any advise would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, I have sent you some information via Email including his obituary and suggesting some other possible locations to look for his parents, such as his Civil War enlistment, the 1860 census in Ohio and possibly the marriage record in Kansas. Please let me know if you find more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty,

    Tried to send through ancestry - but message wouldn't go. I think I have information regarding Aaron Lockhart's wife Hannah. Looking at family search deeds for Monmouth County NJ, in volume P page 129 there is the start of a series of interesting deeds between Elizabeth Mairs and a Laftera and Hannah Lockhart sister of Elizabeth Mairs. It may be that Hannah and sister Elizabeth are the sisters of the male Laftera (sp). Additionally, Hannah Lockhart gave to one James Yetman for $1 in loving affection some property. James married an Abby Lockhart - at least Abby is the name on the deed. So Hannah married Aaron and had a child Abby who married a James Yetman. These folks are all in Shrewsbury.

    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS4Y-NNMB?i=142&cat=216629

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I will take a look and see if I can find connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing all of this information it's very helpful! I came across your Ancestry profile because our trees intersect (though we are not DNA related) . I'm the 3rd Great Grandson of the James Joseph Long and Lena Harris in your West Virginia Ancestors tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words and for contacting me. I have a lot of almost relatives in West Virginia!

      Delete

  A Person Convinced against their Will  is of the Same Opinion Still!   We have all known people who refuse to change their minds no matter...